What is Flip4Mac? What does it do? Why do I need it? What version do I get with The Movies?
Below you will find an description of Flip4Mac split up into the following sections.
- What is Flip4Mac?
- What does it do?
- Why do I need it?
- What version do I get with The Movies?
What is Flip4Mac?
In January 2006, Microsoft discontinued Windows Media Player for Mac OS X and began distributing a free "playback only" version of Telestream's Flip4Mac WMV Player as Windows Media Components for QuickTime on their website.
Windows Media Components for QuickTime, also known as Flip4Mac WMV Player allows playback of Microsoft's proprietary audio and video codecs directly in the QuickTime Player for Mac OS X.
What does it do?
The free plugin allows playback of:
- Windows Media Video 7, 8, 9 SD and HD
- Windows Media Audio 7, 8, 9 Professional and Lossless
- Includes a web browser plug-in to allow playback of embedded Windows Media files in web pages.
The free plugin does not allow the user to export or edit files.
However, there are also several commercial versions of Flip4Mac that offer more functionality, including creating WMV format files on the Mac. One of these is Flip4Mac WMV Studio and it is included with The Movies.
Why do I need it?
Because The Movies was originally designed for the PC, it uses Windows Media Video 9 and Window Media Audio 9 formats when creating movies from within the game.To give Mac users the same features, Feral has bundled Telestream's Flip4Mac WMV Studio for free (!) with the Mac version of the game.
Once you have created a movie you may wish to share them with other fans of The Movies around the world. To do this, you need to upload your finished movie to The Movies Online in WMV format.
With Flip4Mac Studio installed, the Mac version of The Movies can create WMV movies for upload to The Movies Online with one simple mouse click from inside the game.
What version do I get with The Movies?
The Mac version of The Movies includes a licenced version of Flip4Mac WMV Studio. This plug-in offers the following features:
- Full use of the plug-in in any QuickTime enabled application.
- Import .WMV files for editing and conversion to .MOV
- Move Windows Media files onto your iPod.
- Edit movies from your digital camera.
- Export into WMV for easy sharing with friends and family running Windows computers.
- 100% compatible with iApps like iMovie, iPhoto and FinalCut Pro.
- Export to WMV using one of three specfic codecs.
- Upgrade path to full versions of Studio Pro and Studio Pro HD.
For more information on Flip4Mac please visit http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv.htm